Car shipping is a big industry that many people take advantage of. There are people all over the world that need a vehicle shipped from one place to another – sometimes overseas, other times just across a city. Sometimes this is for new cars, other times it is for classic or rare cars.
There are places all over the country that can move a vehicle for you. You could just go on any browser and put in cheap vehicle transport to see what you can find. You are likely to find many companies within your city.
This article will help you with some questions that you should ask before you hire someone to ship your vehicle. It will also give you some of the answers to these questions. You can always do more research to find the information that you need.
Top Questions to Ask
- Is the Company Registered with the Department of Transportation? Especially if the company is going to transport your vehicle across the state line they will need to be registered with the Department of Transportation. The company should be able to give you a DOT number that you can check out. They should also have a Motor Carrier Number that you can check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website: https://www.usa.gov/agencies/federal-motor-carrier-safety-administration.
- What Are the Services that They Offer? You will need to ask what type of services they offer. Some only offer regional transportation, while others will have restrictions on what type of vehicles that they can transport. You also need to see if they have open air transportation or closed container transportation. These are all important questions for you to ask if the company can move your auto.
- What Are the Costs Involved? You need to call several companies to compare prices on transportation. Everyone is different and you need to know which is the best price for you. You also need to ask about what is covered in the costs. Some have one price for everything, while others will have the prices broken down.
- Do They Offer Insurance? If they offer insurance, see what kind of insurance they offer. If they don’t offer any insurance, seek another company – you don’t want to have to pay out of your pocket if something goes wrong. See here to find out what insurance is required. Ask to see the insurance documents so that you know what is covered and what is not. Make sure that you ask how much your auto is covered for – if it’s not enough, see if you can increase it.
- Do You Need Documentation? You will probably need to provide documentation to the vehicle shipping company. You will need to provide proof of ownership such as title or bill of sale. Your registration and insurance information will also be needed. You may need other documentation – just ask the company what they need.
- What Do You Need to Do to Get Your Car Ready for Shipping? Most auto shipping companies will prohibit carrying household items in your vehicle. Most of them will want you to remove everything from your vehicle. You will also need to give the hauler your keys, according to the DOT. You should also have a quarter tank of gas in the vehicle.
- How Long Will It Take to Ship Your Auto? This answer will vary with the company and with where you are having your vehicle shipped. If it is going across town, then it should only take a few hours or less. If it is going across the country, it will take much longer than that. If you are having your car shipped from coast to coast, expect about one or two weeks to get it to its destination.
- What are the Payment Arrangements? You will need to ask when the carrier will want you to make your payments. Some companies want the money up front. Others will want you to pay upon delivery. Still others will ask for a deposit up front and paid in full upon delivery.
- How Can You Be Sure that Nothing Will Happen to Your Car? One of the first things that the company should do when you drop off your vehicle is to take an inventory of it. They will do a walk-around your auto and detail every scratch and dent. They will often take pictures of this to compare it with the car when it is delivered.
- What if Your Car Does Get Damaged? If your auto is delivered and upon comparison it is found to be damaged during transport, you will file a claim against the carrier’s insurance. This is why it is important to have the inventory done before the vehicle is transported. If you notice something that was different from what the carrier saw, mention it and then file a claim.
There are many questions that you should ask before you ship your car somewhere. This is important before you choose a company and after you have chosen one. This will help you to get the most information about how your auto will be shipped and at what cost.